Thank you to all of you who have faithfully included us in your prayers. Thank you to all who have welcomed us into your congregations, schools, and homes. Thank you to all who have given one-time gifts, and those who have made pledges of ongoing support. Thank you, because without all your support and encouragement, we would not be able to do the work that the Lord of the Church has called us and placed us here to do.
We are grateful to God for the support He has given us through the members of His Church in order to get us this far, and we trust in His fatherly, divine goodness and mercy to provide for all of our needs of body and soul.
However, as instruments of God’s goodness and mercy, we need your help.
As you can imagine, moving to a new country and setting up a new household is no small endeavour, neither personally nor financially. We are grateful for the provision that has allowed us to do this, but we also face the reality that these expenses have depleted a great deal of our position budget for this fiscal year. These expenses include:
- Travel costs: Airfare, visas, immunizations, etc.
- Rent: In Ghana, standard procedure is to pay two years’ rent up front at the start of the lease.
- Appliances/Furnishings: Stove, refrigerator, generator, etc.
- Family vehicle: It is extremely difficult to find a trustworthy used vehicle, so we have ordered a new vehicle to transport our family. Import costs add a fair bit to the cost of any vehicle here.
To be clear, all these such expenses have been covered by the funds already raised before we deployed. We thank you for helping to provide these gifts for us. However, that has significantly depleted our budget for the rest of the fiscal year. This is why we need your help.
As of the last report we received from St. Louis, we are 27% funded for Fiscal Year 2017, which ends 30 June 2017. The minimum expected funding is supposed to be 28% by this point, but a suggested comfortable margin would have us 53% funded by this point in the fiscal year.
How can you help?
- If you would like us to Skype into a Bible Study, chapel service, or meeting, please contact us, and we can try to set it up.
- If you have not yet given a gift to support the Lord’s work in Ghana, please prayerfully consider joining our network of partners in the Gospel.
- If you have given a one-time gift, please prayerfully consider making a pledge to give a recurring gift, whether yearly, quarterly, or monthly.
- If you have already pledged your ongoing support, please prayerfully consider whether you could make a special extra gift to help offset these large set-up expenses.
If you would like to support us financially, please visit lcms.org/mcdermott and click “Give Now”. You can also call the LCMS Donor Care line at 888-930-4438 and speak with someone who can help you over the phone. If you prefer to mail your gift, you can make checks payable to “The LCMS” and mark “McDermott – Ghana” in the memo line. Checks can be sent to:
The LCMS + PO Box 66861 + St. Louis, MO 63166-6861
Mission Central + 40718 Hwy E16 + Mapleton, IA 51034
Please also check out our YouTube channel for videos introducing us and our work, which you can feel free to show and share with those who might be interested.
Finally, please continue to keep us, and all our missionaries, in your prayers. We thank God for all your encouragement and support, and we enjoy hearing from you!
[update: Post edited 21 Oct 2016, to clarify a few points. We are not in danger of being sent home anytime soon.]